Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I apply for child support?

    If you have custody, you may apply at the child support office in the county of your residence or online. A non-refundable processing fee of $25 is required in the form of a certified check or money order at the time of application.

    Expand Collapse
  • I’ve submitted my application. How long will it take to establish a child support order?

    Once the noncustodial parent has been located, the Department of Human Services Division of Division of Child Support Services (DCSS) has 90 days to establish a court order. The actual time varies, depending on local court availability and scheduling.

    Expand Collapse
  • Do I need to apply for child support in order to receive a DNA test?

    Yes. In order for a DNA test to be completed, there must be an open and active case with DCSS. 

    Expand Collapse
  • I have been ordered to pay child support. What do I do?

    Don’t ignore the order. To view information on how to make a payment, visit the Family Support Registry. If you are employed, contact your local child support office to provide your employer information.

    Expand Collapse
  • How is my child support amount decided?

    In determining child support, DCSS follows the guidelines established by state law, O.C.G.A. § 19-6-15. 

    Expand Collapse
  • Once a child support order and income withholding in place, how long will it take before I receive a payment?

    The first payment is sent to DCSS. If the noncustodial parent (NCP) is employed, please allow four to six weeks for DCSS to post payments received from the noncustodial parent’s place of employment. 

    Expand Collapse
  • Can I have my payment added to a prepaid card such as Walmart or American Express?

    No. You will receive a Georgia EPPI card in the mail once the first payment is made and subsequent payments will be applied to the EPPI card, unless you have signed up for direct deposit. 

    Expand Collapse
  • How can I collect money for unpaid medical bills?

    DCSS can only attempt to collect these amounts if a judgment for unpaid medical bills has been obtained. Please bring a certified copy of the judgment to your local child support office.

    Expand Collapse
  • My payment is being held. Why is child support holding this money?

    Occasionally, payments are held in escrow a minimum of 45 days to allow the NCP time to request a hearing if he/she disagrees with the collection. This is required by federal and state law. Call 1-844-694-2347 for more information.

    Expand Collapse
  • How can I find out if a payment has been collected for my children?

    Payment information is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:

    Expand Collapse
  • How can get a copy of my payment history?

    On the DCSS Mobile App (Apple Store or Google Play) or Customer Online Services

    Expand Collapse
  • Is direct deposit available for checking and savings accounts?

    Yes. You may sign up for direct deposit online. Please allow 10 business days for processing. You may download an application or request a form to be mailed to you by calling your local office. Please provide a copy of a voided check or deposit slip with your name and address printed on the front.

    Expand Collapse
  • If my payment history shows a payment was made, will the money be in my bank account the same day?

    No. DCSS bank transfers funds to your banking institution within 2 business days of the payment date (excluding weekends and holidays). Check with your banking institution to determine how long it takes for them to make the credit to your account. 

    Expand Collapse
  • What’s the best way to get information about my case?

    The DCSS Mobile App or Customer Online Services. You can download the DCSS On the Go mobile app by scanning the QR code below. You may also try the Communications Center at 1-844-694-2347 to obtain the following information: 

    • Automated payment information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (option 1)
    • Debit card balance (option 2)
    • General case information (option 3)
    • Other information or to reach a contact center representative (available Monday through Friday from 8 AM until 5 PM excluding weekends and state holidays) (option 4) 
      DCSS Mobile APP QR Code
    Expand Collapse
  • How do I change my Social Security number (SSN) or date of birth (DOB) on my case?

    You will need to go to your local office to submit proof of your valid SSN or DOB. After validation, the agent will make the necessary changes to the system.

    Expand Collapse
  • If I am dissatisfied with the agent working my case is there someone else I can speak with?

    Yes. You may contact the agent’s supervisor, the supervisor’s manager or the region manager by calling 1-844-694-2347.

    Expand Collapse